- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 pitted dates, chopped
- 12 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Fresh sage, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut thin slices lengthwise from bottom of sweet potatoes to allow them to lie flat; discard slices. Place potatoes flat side down; cut crosswise into 1/8-in. slices, leaving them intact at the bottom. Arrange sweet potatoes in a greased 13×9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, orange juice and orange peel. Spoon half the butter mixture evenly over sweet potatoes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine cream cheese, dates and sage; spread between potato slices.
- Bake, covered, until potatoes are just becoming tender, 45-50 minutes. Remove pan from oven and uncover; spoon remaining butter mixture over potatoes and top with pecans. Return to oven and bake until potatoes are completely tender and topping is golden brown, 25-30 minutes longer. If desired, serve with chopped fresh sage.
1 sweet potato: 552 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 8g fiber), 6g protein.