- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Poke holes in warm cake using a fork or wooden skewer. Mix glaze ingredients; spoon slowly over cake. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
1 slice: 488 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.